1. How do I sync my device with PWR LAB?
Follow these instructions IN ORDER for the smoothest experience:
• Register for Yosemite National Park Challenge
• SIGNUP for a PWR Lab account
• Connect your device
• GO FOR YOUR RUN!
• If you registered for the event and PWR Lab with the same email address, you are automatically linked. If the emails are different, it is no problem. There is just one extra step.
2. I don’t have a Garmin, COROS, Polar or Suunto watch. Is there another way to sync with PWR LAB?
Devices that sync ‘running’ activities to Garmin Connect, Suunto, COROS, and Polar Flow are currently compatible. You can also record directly on your phone (for free) using Suunto App. Apple Watch is not currently compatible, but we anticipate it will be compatible prior to the start of the event on April 22. (Fitbit and Strava are not currently compatible)
Learn more on our Sync Your Device Page or on the Device Compatibility Page.
If you do not have a supported GPS device, but carry a phone while you run, you can download the Suunto App and use their built in GPS activity recorder to sync with PWR Lab.
RunGap: There are also 3rd party options to create connections between various devices and apps. One that we’re familiar with is RunGap ($2.99 for 3 months). These options can help you automatically sync your workouts from any supported service to avoid having to manually enter a device that is not yet supported.
For instance, you could get your Apple Watch data into our leaderboard by leveraging RunGap’s connection between Apple and Garmin Connect. There are over a dozen connections to choose from.
Here’s how it would work:
• Create a Garmin Connect account.
• Create a RunGap account.
• RunGap’s Swag Bag: In RunGap click the Menu button (3 bars) and then click on “Swag Bag” to purchase a 3-month subscription ($2.99) to sync with Garmin, Suunto or Polar apps.
• Sync your devices to Garmin, Suunto or Polar: In RunGap click the Menu button (3 bars). Under Tools, click “Accounts/Settings.” Add account for Strava, Apple, Nike and sync with Garmin Connect.
• Refresh your RunGap home page. It could take a while as it backlogs ALL your workouts.
• Then click on the specific activity. Hit the ellipses on the top right. Hit Share. Only select Garmin Connect and hit Share.
• PWR Lab will grab your activity from Garmin Connect and add it to the leaderboard.
• RunGap is a workaround to integrate Apple Watch data (Apple compatibility coming soon!) and while it will work as an option for syncing, it is not an officially supported PWR Lab integration and they will not be able to assist with any technical issues.
3. I registered multiple people with my email address and the other people would like to sync their devices. What’s our next step?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide a unique email addresses for EACH person wanting to sync their device.
4. I synced my device and went out for a run, but I don’t see my run on the Leaderboard. What’s up?
Not to worry! Make sure your run is synced from your device to your app service (such as Garmin Connect). Refresh the leaderboard and give it a few moments to refresh. For syncing purposes, please track all your activities as a “running” activity. While we celebrate forward movement in all forms, the device syncing does not work with “walking” or “hiking” activities. If you are still encountering problems, please reach out to Sacramentoraceinfo@fleetfeet.com.
5. I’m running indoors on a treadmill – am I able to upload my activity?
ABSOLUTELY. When in doubt though, you can always upload treadmill results using manual entry, but some watches also support Treadmill modes that are compatible with PWR Lab: Many newer GPS watches have the option to “Calibrate Distance” after completing a treadmill run. On a Garmin, record the activity specifically as a treadmill run. After stopping the watch – but before saving the activity – scroll down to “Calibrate and Save”, and enter the total distance displayed on the treadmill. If you record the run and save it without calibrating / adjusting the distance, then it is likely to be very inaccurate. Also note that if you run on a treadmill without selecting a specific treadmill mode, then the distance calculated using GPS will be very small (close to 0), because you’re not moving away from the treadmill. Note that adjusting the distance in Garmin Connect after you have saved & submitted the activity will not change the data that is sent to PWR Lab or the leaderboard. Resources: Garmin Article, YouTube Video
6. Am I able to sync walking or hiking activities?
OF COURSE! If you are using a GPS device, you must classify all your walks or hikes as a “run” for it to be automatically added to your total. Steps would need to be manually entered.
7. I want to exclude a Verified run that automatically shows up. How do I do that?
If needed, you can manually exclude activities and make sure they don’t count toward the event results. Sign in to the Submit Results tool (get there from the Leaderboard), go to Activities, and choose which to exclude from the list. Then click the icon.
8. Please explain the 30-day PWR Lab trial.
PWR Lab has converged big data and sport science to help runners of any level to predict risk, prevent injury, and perform optimally. You will receive a 30-Day free trial to their platform, which will begin when you create your account. You are not required to input your credit card or purchase anything. You also do not need to use the app once you sync your device to take part in the challenge during or after the 30-day trial. The leaderboard will be your hub for all things challenge-related.
9. Why is my historical data uploaded to PWR Lab?
PWR Lab is a running analytics company created to help runners avoid training injures. The platform is designed to import historical running activity, learn your personal baseline, and then give you completely customized training guidance and injury risk forecasting. If you choose to link your device, PWR Lab will import your historical activities for the sake of establishing that baseline.
10. What happens to my activities at the end of the 30-day PWR Lab trial?
Your mileage will continue to be tracked for the duration of the challenge until you reach 254 miles (or 508 miles if you want to do a round-trip challenge) or Saturday, July 31st, 2021 at 11:59pm PT, whichever comes first. You do not need to use the app during the 30-day free trial or thereafter.
Tell me more…
When signing up for PWR Lab, you can authorize a connection between another running data service (eg Garmin Connect) and PWR Lab. This allows that service to send us activities that you have recorded on your device (watch/phone/etc.) and then uploaded. PWR Lab does not actually connect to your watch or track you: your activities are simply pushed through your Garmin Connect, Suunto, Movescount, or Polar account to our platform.
This authorization remains intact until you choose to disable it. Your account is not actually deleted at the end of a free trial, just locked. Thus, it can continue to send your results to the race leaderboard.
11. I’ve completed my Yosemite National Park Challenge and crushed my goal – how do I disconnect my PWR Lab connection?
You can disable the link between PWR Lab and your connected services at any time. After connecting your service to PWR Lab, a green link/unlink icon will be displayed on your Profile page. To unlink your account at any time, navigate to the Profile page, scroll to the bottom, and select “unlink”. You can do this through the other service’s app (eg Garmin Connect) as well.
You can cancel your free trial, and/or request that PWR Lab fully delete your account at any point.
12. How is my PERSONAL activity data used?
Personal data is never sold to external parties or used for anything other than personalizing the PWR Lab experience or to improve the platform’s processes. Any research PWR Lab does is always anonymized, aggregated at population levels, and in no way personally identifiable or attached to any other person information.
13. I’ve got a technical question for PWR Lab – how do I contact them?
The PWR Lab customer service team can be reached at email@example.com.